Rising Signs of Astrology: What Are They and What Do They Mean?


 
Photo Courtesy of Constant Loubier via Unsplash 

So, rising signs... If you are new to astrology, you've probably heard this term come up quite a bit and have thought, "huh?". 

Chances are, you came into astrology thinking there was only one sign you needed to understand, and that would be your sun sign, aka the sign your day of birth falls under. 

Right AND wrong. 

Not to overwhelm or shatter your thoughts, but every person born on the planet Earth actually has at least 10 signs that make up your entire birth chart (!!!). But we'll dive into all that at a later date, baby steps here! 

If it's any consolation, rising signs end up playing a huge role in most people's personas, to the point where astrology beginners are often grateful/relieved they discovered theirs! 

For me personally, discovering my rising sign was a blessing. It was like a lightbulb finally clicked on! It was the piece of the puzzle that had been missing and had suddenly filled the spaces left open by my sun and moon sign

(Don't get me wrong, I vibe strongly with my sun and moon, but it is my rising sign that usually carries a much stronger presence in my daily interactions with others.) 

So if you've read up on your sun sign and feel that it did not describe you 100%, then it's time to take a look at your rising sign



What Is A Rising Sign? 

First off, another term for rising sign is your ascendant. Depending on what astrologer you're listening to, some will say "rising" and others will say "ascendant". There's no right or wrong here, personal preference! 

Technically, your rising sign is the zodiac sign that was rising on the eastern horizon at the time of your birth. 

Make sense now? 

The best way to figure out yours is by using an online astrology calculator. Keep in mind, you will need your exact birth time and location in order for complete accuracy. If you're not sure on the time, get as close to the right minute as you possibly can, and if you really don't know, then use noon - 12PM. (But that should be your last resort). 

OK, I Got My Rising Sign. Now What? 

Below are general traits or characteristics for each of the twelve zodiac signs. These traits apply to both sun and rising. Find yours and then I'll explain further and use a couple of examples. 

Aries - energetic, impatient, direct, strong-willed 

Taurus - stable, determined, stubborn, hardworking 

Gemini - clever, witty, communicative, non-committal 

Cancer - intuitive, perceptive, needy, enigmatic 

Leo - confident, noble, loyal, smug

Virgo - organized, analytical, demanding, over-critical 

Libra - sociable, sincere, fair, indecisive 

Scorpio - complex, tenacious, passionate, jealous 

Sagittarius - optimistic, adventurous, restless, careless 

Capricorn - ambitious, responsible, skeptical, rigid

Aquarius - innovative, rebellious, idealistic, detached 

Pisces - compassionate, kind, gullible, over-sensitive 

So, easiest way to describe the role of your rising sign is that it is basically the mask you wear when you are either not ready to reveal the real you, or something is preventing you from being your true self = your sun sign. 

Your rising sign is the first impression others get from you, especially if they are meeting you for the first time and know nothing about you. 

Example: my sun is Leo, which means at my best I am warm, confident, and extremely loyal to my inner circle. But 8 out of 10 times, I usually display my rising sign, which is Capricorn. Which means to those who don't know me well, I come off as ambitious, but very reserved and stern

Another example: let's say your sun sign is Virgo but your rising is Aquarius. That means you probably come off to others as idealistic and innovative, but can seem a little rebellious and detached (Aquarius). But the real you is extremely organized, reliable, and possibly over-critical of others, (Virgo). 

See how I did this? I promise it's simple, just use the list of adjectives above! 

So I think I've stressed enough how important understanding your rising sign is. For some, it's the missing piece of the puzzle, and for others. it's a pain in the rear. But whichever way you feel about your rising, I guarantee it will explain A LOT about the different parts of you in regards to your personality. 

To read more details about each zodiac sign's characteristics (yes, there are PLENTY more), don't hesitate to check out my beginner's guide to astrology available on Amazon

Also, be sure to click the Subscribe button at the top of your page to stay in the know about all the other astrology topics I cover. (Again, not to overwhelm, but there are a ton. Get EXCITED!!) 

XOXO,

Your Favorite Leo 




Comments

Popular Posts